Namba is a short train trip from Umeda where we are staying. It is known as the entertainment and shopping hub and we were making our way to Sennichimae the cookware shopping street.

Our instructions for the train were to jump on the red line, easy! That is where we were yesterday and we knew just where to go in the station to get that. Without any problems we navigated our way to the red line platform 1 and jumped on the train. As soon as we left Osaka station I looked at the electronic board showing the track destinations and with sinking heart realised this was not the correct train. The lady that I asked who was sitting next to me had no English but jumped up to retrieve assistance from a young Japanese man. Unfortunately he didn’t have enough English so I motioned that I should get off and go back to Osaka station and he nodded. So that is just what we did.
In the meantime I realised that we did need to catch the red line from platform 1, but not from Osaka station and not the loop line. We needed to catch the Midosuji line from Umeda station. This actually was not a huge problem because Osaka and Umeda station merge into each other, so it is right next door.
On to the train were jumped and as always, it is a relief to see your destination on the electronic board!
Namba is a really nice place with a really modern vibe of offices and department stores. Surprisingly there are little alleys off to the side in some places and that is where we found ‘Kitchen Street’. It would be easy to buy too much here, many of the ceramic ware is very similar to what we can get in Asian stores in Auckland. We did come across some really lovely and more authentic ceramics, but transportation needed to be considered. Our main goal was to buy some Japanese knives and it was difficult to chose a store as there were many. Our decision was made by a westerner standing at the front of the store and without saying anything to each other we both entered. He was American and very helpful, and of course we purchased knives. The knives come in carbon, carbon/ stainless and fully stainless. Each have there own attributes, but we have been watching a lot of YouTube on Japanese knives and decided that stainless steel would serve us best.
Part of the knife buying experience was watching them wrap the knives! They were carefully placed in a sheath and into a box and carefully wrapped with perfection, and a way that I couldn’t replicate! I did ask our young chap if part of learning about knives was origami training!
Stopping for a coffee at Tulleys (a Coffee Club style chain) I had to use the rest room which was located on an upper level of the mall. I located it okay and I soon as I walked in the waterfall noise started, I assume to camouflage any embarrassing toilet noises. Unfortunately it turned itself off before my embarrassing noises started. I did my business only to find that the ‘flush’ was somewhere undercover? I must have spent 5 minutes staring at the toilet, and scanning instructions. In the meantime I could hear people outside waiting for their turn. I just could not find anything to push, pull or twist. I was even poking things on the back of the toilet that were knobs holding the whole thing together!
Finally I had to admit defeat, I felt so bad leaving the loo, as it was a bit more than a wee! As I walked out of the cubicle I heard a flush behind me. Hoping it was from my cubicle I quickly washed my hands and exited as fast as possible.
On my return Lance decided that he needed to use the restroom as well. I explained my situation and with glasses and phone he went off to do business.
When he came back he showed me this. I thought it was just the speaker for the waterfall noise! I think that Air New Zealand should add ‘Restroom instructions’ to their inflight information videos!

Back at hotel we had thought that we wold partake in the ‘High Tea’ that we had seen the previous day, but unfortunately we needed to book the day before, so we thought we wold just wait until dinner. I am sure we won’t waste away having missed 1 scoffy meal!
Lance found an Irish Pub that appeared to be very close to the station. We are ready for some familiar tucker, so after a rest off we went by Hotel shuttle to the station to find our dinner.
The place that he was looking for was not at the station, actually it may have been close by but we couldn’t cross the road. We had to back track to find an over bridge and eventually after 1.5 kms google maps told us we were there. I know that it was 1.5 is because my Apple Watch thought that I was out walking for exercise! Google had taken us down a little alley once again filled with eateries, this ally also provided bars with ‘girls’! We knew that we were at the spot but there was no Blarney Stone Irish Pub sign anywhere. However there was a corridor to a lift and sure enough right out of sight was a sign to go to the 6th floor.
A heavy wooden door had minimal signage but we opened it and inside was a very rustic bar. It looked like the sort of place that goes off some nights and had a platform for a band and the Irish owner was walking around chatting to the few patrons that were arriving. But after a plate of nachos and a drink we decided that we would go back to the hotel and have a drink and something to eat from the bar. Only to find that the bar was closed on Mondays!
![]() |
| This sculpture is over the road from our hotel. It is made up of people! |

So it was a 7 Eleven dinner for us! I chose a wee bottle of red wine, there was one other choice and it was red wine in a milk carton type vessel.
Back to our room Lance put on some music and we dined on fried chicken and an egg sandwich for Lance and some custard pudding (which was delicious) and a sweet something that had mochi balls that were inedible but a treacle sauce that was lovely on the custard pudding. We also had a pineapple bun that we spat out after one bite.
All in all a culinary disaster day. In fact unsurprisingly I poured the down the sink and had some of Lance’s beer. The haul from 7 Eleven cost us the equivalent of $26 NZD Beer and wine included!

We are off to Yokohama tomorrow on the Shinkasen (Bulletin Train)!

No comments:
Post a Comment